2013 End of Year Book Survey

Hosted by Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner

Can you believe it is the end of 2013?! It feels like just yesterday I was celebrating the beginning of the year. This year has been a good year for me, my anxiety hasn't been so bad, I have been getting A/A+ on almost every single maths lessons, science test etc and I have been going back to dancing! I hope you guys have had an amazing year and that you'll have an even more brilliant year next year!

Best in Books 2013 
 1. Best Book You Read In 2013? 
Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic YA  - Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Contemporary Middle-Grade - Wonder by R.J. Palacio

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

 The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen. Everyone raves about Sarah Dessen, I've read one of her books and didn't enjoy it and I was hoping that I would love The Moon and More better than Dreamland, but it was still an average read for me.


 3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 

 The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud. I'm not a fan of ghost stories and I was quite hesitant to read this, but I absolutely fell in love with the characters and the storyline. As well as The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, I wasn't sure what to expect of this book but it was such a raw, emotional read,


 4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013? 

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness. It is honestly been one of the most amazing reads that I have ever experienced and I can't recommend it enough! 

 

 5. Best series you discovered in 2013?

 One of the best trilogies that I have discovered this year is The Summer I Turned Pretty trilogy. I read all three books one after the other, and loved them!

 

 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?

Stephanie Perkins! I adored Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door! 


7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

Definitely The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud, which is in the ghost/horror genre, which I NEVER read. 

 

 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

There have been a lot...but the most, I would say, has been Insurgent, The Paladin Prophecy, City of Ashes, Mockingjay and The House of Hades.

 

 9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi! It was so good and I would like to read it and Unravel Me when Ignite Me is released. 

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?

Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3)

 

11. Most memorable character in 2013? 

August from Wonder. I love him so much! He is such an inspiring character! 

As well as Leo Valdez from The Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan, he is so amazing and funny and GAH! 

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?

Chime by Franny Billinglsey. I absolutely adore the way this author writes - it's so quaint and magical! This book definitely needs to receive more recognition!  

 

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 

I'm mentioning this book way too much, but I am going to have to say, once again, 

WonderThis book left me with tears in my eyes, and made me smile to see how compassionate and kind some people can be.

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare! I have heard nothing but good things about the books and I decided it was high time to read it...and I loved it! 


 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?

“If every person in this room made it a rule that wherever you are, whenever you can, you wil try to act a little kinder than is necessary - the world really would be a better place. And if you do this, if you act just a little kinder than is necessary, someone else, somewhere, someday, may recognize in you, in every single one of you, the face of God.” - Wonder by R.J. Palacio 


16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

Shortest - My Teachers are Zombies by Tom Shin - 79 Pages

Longest - The House of Hades by Rick Riordan - 584 Pages 

 

 17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It?

The last few chapters of Allegiant and the ending of City of Bones. I needed to rant and rave...and cry. *grabs tissues* 

 

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

Martine and Jeremiah in The White Giraffe by Lauren St John! I love reading about the special relationships between human and animal.


19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

The Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan! THEY'RE SO GOOD! 


20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:

I don't think there has been one! 

 

21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?

YA Contemporary and YA Dystopian/Fantasy.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?

WHERE DO I BEGIN, NEXT QUESTION. Kidding. Maybe. ;)  Jase from My Life Next Door, Jace from City of Bones, Conrad from The Summer I Turned Pretty, Etienne from Anna and the French Kiss, Cricket from Lola and the Boy Next Door, Eldric from Chime and Leo from The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan.

 

23. Best 2013 debut you read?

I don't think that I read a debut this year... 


24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

Gone by Michael Grant. He described the desolate, fearful world perfectly.

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?

The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens. It was such a fantastic fantasy read. I loved the plot, the characters and the dialogue. I also thought Stephanie Perkins'  anovelsre fabulously fun! 

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?

I absolutely sobbed during The Knife of Never Letting Go, during one of the character's deaths. And I was sitting in the dentist office, to make it more embarrassing. I also got quite teary-eyed towards the end of Allegiant, but I was expecting it so I didn't sob like others. 


27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?


 

Chime by Franny Billingsley. It's such a charming, magical story that has that authentic, olden feel and such lovely characters and I wish more people would read it. 


Looking Ahead...

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?

The rest of the Mortal Instruments series, as well as Unravel Me. 

 

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?

Cress by Marissa Meyer! I recently received Scarlet and I can't wait to read it as I loved Cinder! 

 

3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

Wish You Were Italian by Kristin Rae, it looks so cute and summery! 

 4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?

City of Heavenly Fire and Ignite Me! Still need to read the last 3 TMI books and Unravel Me, but I loved the books that I have read so far in the series/trilogy.

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?

To read as much as I can and blog and comment more as well and keep more in touch with my bloggy friends!