My Top Ten Books of 2016


I'm so excited for this topic, it gives me a chance to fangirl and flail over all the incredible books I've read this year – and there are many. Spoiler alert: There may be more than ten books on this list because I'm not very talented at narrowing down my favourite books to only ten. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE. THEY ARE MY PRECIOUSES AND I LOVE THEM ALL. Anyway, moving on, here are the top sixteen books I've read this year!

My first book of 2016 and I LOVED it. I'd read a few mixed reviews so I was pretty wary of it but I LOVED IT. It read like a contemporary (and you guys know how I love my contemporaries) but it had dragons. And two cute guys. And I loved the characters and the writing. 2016 started off with a bang reading wise and it only got better!

Fun fact: I actually DNFed this around 70 pages in because the main character's anxiety was giving me anxiety but I'm so glad I picked it back up. Guys, if you haven't yet read this book, you need to sit in the corner and rethink your life choices because it's incredible. It's one book that perfectly describes how it feels to live with an anxiety disorder and although I struggle with a different type of anxiety to Evie, I could still completely relate. There were several times where Evie's thoughts completely mirrored my own and it kind of felt like I was being punched in the stomach because it reminded me of the severity of my anxiety but I also loved it because I felt understood and not quite so alone. There's nothing more magical than that, I think. MY REVIEW.

I still remember I buddy read this with my best friend on a cold weekend in January and I LOVED it. I absolutely adored the characters, the plot was incredible, the romance was sweet, the writing was out-of-this-world and I just fell completely in love with this book. I NEED to get my hands on the second one!

I LOVED THIS BOOK. It was so relatable and nerdy and the friendship was so adorable I wanted to cry and there was an amazing mother/daughter relationship, there were fandoms and Tumblr and superhero onesies and ALED, I love him so much, my smol cinnamon roll. I could just relate so hard to this book and if you haven't read it yet, you NEED to. MY REVIEW.

It's actually no wonder I loved this book as I adore books/movies that feature your everyday person getting swept up into the glitzy world of fame and fortune. Love Song was so adorable and I had about 87459 emotions whilst reading it. I LOVED the main character, I loved each and every single one of the boys in the boy band, the romance – EXCUSE ME WHILE I FLAIL FOR 720 YEARS. If you need a light-hearted read with just the right amount of depth – you should read this. MY REVIEW.

I can't tell you how long I've been wanting to read this series, so when I got sent them to review I literally squealed and flailed for several hours because I FINALLY HAD THE SPLINTERED SERIES. I was quite scared I wouldn't enjoy it because it had received a lot of hype when it first came out and I also really wanted to love it so I would've been incredibly disappointed if it wasn't as good as I thought it would be but OH MY GOSH I LOVED IT SO MUCH. The writing is GORGEOUS and I savored every word because the sentences were so magically strung together. I loved the characters and the romance and the world-building. Alice in Wonderland was one of my favorite books as a child so being able to read such a glorious retelling was a dream come true. MY REVIEW.

You know when a book finds you when you need it most? That was me with The Moonlight Dreamers. At that part of my life, I was feeling pretty left out and I was struggling in the friendship department but The Moonlight Dreamers made me feel so reassured and comforted as the characters in the book were experiencing the exact same feelings as I was. This book made me cry because I just felt so understood and I love it when books do that. The writing was lovely, the friendships were incredible, as were the characters. Definitely one of the best books I've read this year. MY REVIEW.

This trilogy will always hold a very special place in my heart. Firstly, because they were the first books Penguin Random House UK had sent to me to review and secondly because I had such an incredible time reading them (even though I felt like I was dying from the flu). I wasn't a fan of Half Bad but Half Wild and Half Lost were incredible. The writing was so unique as was the plot and the characters were so flawed and complex. THESE BOOKS WILL BREAK YOUR HEART, THOUGH. JUST WARNING YOU. MY REVIEW.


I had read one other Alyson Noel book before this one and I had absolutely loved it, so I went into this book with quite high hopes. They were met and totally exceeded. It was dramatic and all the characters were slightly psychopathic lying backstabbers who would do anything to reach the top but I LOVED IT. It was such a fun book to read but there's a major cliffhanger at the end of the book and I totally needed the next one like, yesterday. MY REVIEW.


Holy schnitzels I loved this book. I still remember getting my copy from the library, sitting down with it late in the morning and finishing it by the time lunchtime rolled around. It was one of those books that I felt completely immersed in and it made me feel all the feels. I even drew fanart of the characters, guys, that's when you know you have some serious book love going on. I'm hoping to buy my own copy soon so I can reread it and tab all my favorite quotes because there were PLENTY of those. MY REVIEW.


THIS BOOK WAS SO CUTE. The main character was awkward, bookish and introverted (well, would you look at that, it's me) and the romance was just too adorable. I also read this book in a couple of hours. I rarely ever read a book in one sitting, so you know it's got to be good when I do! MY REVIEW.


I will never forget I just randomly picked up the first book in the library because I liked the cover and then decided to take it home because it involved aliens and I'm so glad I did because I ended up finding one of my all-time favourite trilogies. The plot(s) in these books are incredible. Every character is somehow intertwined with another character and there story lines are so finely woven, it's genius. The characters are awesome and the romance is sweet but it's not the central thing happening in the books which is refreshing to see. These books are just SO GOOD and everyone needs to read them now. MY REVIEW.


I'm an idiot sometimes. I knew I'd love these books but it took me forever to get around to reading them but I finally did and I'm so glad I did! The main character is so real and utterly hilarious, the writing is light-hearted but the apocalyptic world in which the main character now finds herself in is terrifying. It was the perfect blend of humor and horror. I loved every second of it.

THESE BOOKS ARE AMAZING AND THEY MAKE ME CRY. I LOVE IT. No, but seriously, definitely two of the best books I've ever read. The characters are so incredibly well developed and the romance is adorable and the plot and EVERYTHING IS WONDERFUL. READ IT. MY REVIEW.


This trilogy got better and better with every book. I loved the unique urban fantasy story Holly Black created. Magic, dysfunctional crime families, curses, a complicated romance and Cassel Sharpe who is my boyfriend and I'll love him forever - you can't ask for anything more, really. This series is so good and you definitely need to read it!

THIS BOOK IS SO AMAZING. It's a dark faerie-tale fantasy. The atmosphere is deliciously eerie, the characters all seemed to have magic flowing through their veins as they were so incredibly vivacious and unique, the writing was exquisite...this book was magical. Completely and utterly so. I'm still asking myself why it took me so long to read because it's definitely an all-time favourite.

Those are my top reads of 2016! Have you read any of these and what did you think? What was one of your favourite reads this year? If you did this post, leave your link in the comment section and I'll be sure to check it out!😀